Wednesday 25 September 2013

Well, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Happened...


After months of excitement, Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D finally hit TV in the states last night. Call me a pirate or a thief if you want, but rather than wait until Friday to watch it on TV here in the UK, I opted to take the less legal route and watch it online. Was it worth it?

Well...kind of. Fanboy exuberance has people pissing their pants the world over as Joss Whedon is finally making TV again, and while Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is pretty good, I'm not one of the ones who thinks everything about it is amazing.

The show does everything it promised it would in regard to tying in to Marvel's Cinematic Universe. Certainly via dialogue anyway. The characters talk about the Battle of New York, the Avengers, and Extremis is even a plot point too, but there are no visual references, aside from those S.H.I.E.L.D pickup trucks we saw in The Avengers.

Joss Whedon has always been great at injecting humour into his scripts, but it feels forced in this pilot episode, and the funny bits aren't really funny at all unless Clark Gregg's Agent Coulson is the one delivering the lines. Not that this is Whedon's fault at all. The scripting is pretty good, but it seemed to me that the humour just didn't suit some of the actors, especially Iain De Caestecker as Agent Fitz.

Everything else fits into place pretty nicely, although I personally can't stand Skye (played by Chloe Bennett). Aside from her just generally being annoying, I find it hard to believe that an agency like S.H.I.E.L.D. wouldn't already have someone with her tech skills within their ranks. Again though, it's just personal taste, and she doesn't ruin things for me.

Clark Gregg is, of course, the star of the show, but in this pilot episode, J. August Richards steals every scene he is in, even including a dramatic exchange with Gregg towards the end, and I really hope his character returns at some point.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D has a LOT of potential going forward. Everyone has been asing if we will see cameos from the film actors etc. but it doesn't really need them. If they turn up, great. If not, then at at least the show is doing enough of its own thing to stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment